JOB TITLE: Jr. System Engineer I
REPORTS TO: Sr VP of Transport & Voice
The Digital West Tier 1 Engineer (T1E) is responsible for designing and overseeing the provisioning process of Windows and Linux servers and workstations (physical and virtual) as well routing and switching systems. A Digital West T1E is responsible for ensuring that these solutions also meet the professional and personal needs of the company and its clients. This person must be well organized, flexible and enjoy the challenge of supporting a diverse group of people and programs. A Digital West T1E must understand IPv4 and IPv6 routing and switching, VMWare or comparable cloud computing solutions, Linux and Windows operating systems, as well as Microsoft Active Directory and Office 365. They should also be competent in the fields of database administration, scripting and automation, and project management.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performing advanced troubleshooting on networks, servers, and workstations to identify and resolve issues.
- Consulting with the sales team as well as clients to recommend solutions that conform to best-practices and industry standards.
- Maintaining internal and client systems, keeping them up to date and secure with the latest patches and firmware.
- Architecting, deploying, and maintaining client facing and internal software and hardware solutions.
- Handling escalated issues from the Network Operations team in a timely and efficient manner.
- Writing and maintaining technical documentation for use within Engineering as well as the Network Operations Center.
- Ensuring continuous and functioning backups of client and internal systems.
- Managing project workflow, ensuring that projects are completed in timely and organized fashion.
- Maintaining a safe workplace, follow safety standards set by facilities.
- Maintaining good communication with Sales, Network Operations Center, and Provisioning to facilitate requests in an understandable and efficient manner.
- Escalation response and resolution times.
- Project lifespan and completion.
- Efficacy of deployed solutions.
- 2+ years System Administration or System Engineering experience, or BS in a related field.
- Working knowledge of Windows Server (2008-2019) and Desktop operating systems and service administration. Includes RDS, Active Directory, File Share management, AD FS, etc.
- Working knowledge of virtualization technologies (VMWare, ESXi, etc.).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Office365 services and administration.
- Working knowledge of Industry standard Linux distros (Debian, CentOS, RHEL).
- Ability to interact with command line interfaces to perform troubleshooting and log diagnosis.
- Working knowledge of LAN and WAN networking, NAT, DNS, DHCP, and configuration of network hardware.
- Knowledge of workstation and server hardware repair, upkeep, and lifecycle management.
- Able to pass a drug check and background investigation.
- Able to read, comprehend, and follow documentation written in English.
- Able to speak, type, and hand-write English clearly with proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Able to lift 50lbs safely over your head.
- Able to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Able to type at a keyboard, use a mouse, stare at a computer monitor for long periods of time without causing or exacerbating any injury or medical condition.
- Able to squeeze a hand-tool for 20+ repetitions without causing or exacerbating any injury or medical condition.
- Able to safely climb a 12-foot ladder and reach at arm’s length without losing balance.
- Able to solve simple puzzles and arithmetic problems.
- Able to create a checklist and follow it in order of arrangement without losing track of completed tasks.
- Application Specific Experience:
- SQL (MSSQL, MySQL, MariaDB).
- cPanel and other multi-tenant webhosting solutions.
- VMWare Cloud Services (vSphere, vCloud, NSX).
- SDWAN solutions (Meraki, Unifi, etc.).
- Juniper JunOS.
- CompTIA A+, Net+, Security+.
- Microsoft MTA, MCSA.
- Juniper JNCIA.
- Knowledge of scripting languages like Bash, PowerShell, Python, PERL, Ruby.
- Knowledge of IP Telephony or VOIP.