JOB TITLE: Field Operations Technician
REPORTS TO: Provisioning Project Manager
The Field Operations Technician performs the installation, modification, repair and maintenance of voice and data cabling systems and surveys installation areas to determine cost effective design and deployment of optical cable and related infrastructure. The Field Operations Technician is responsible for making independent judgments where normal procedures or guidelines are not defined.
- Repairs, maintains, programs and installs telecommunications hardware, associated LAN/WAN/networking hardware/software, various electronic equipment and wiring per specifications, codes, standards and operational procedures.
- Repairs/installs phones, WAP’s, and other required equipment within customer premises within assigned area of responsibility.
- Able to use many types of Telecom tools, construction related tools, and equipment
- Accurately test & repair – copper and fiber cables
- Perform cable splices for both optical and copper cables
- Determine closet and equipment layouts and install closet hardware including backboards, connecting blocks, patch panels and premise equipment
- Maintain and provide operations support for site surveys.
- Communicates with dispatchers to receive work assignments and provides dispatchers with ETA for arrival and departure information.
- Troubleshoots situations where standard procedures have failed in isolating or resolving problems while interfacing with multiple departments for problem resolution.
- Required to assist in educating and training customers, providing information to technical support and following direction given on Digital West products & services.
- Maintains inventory of equipment and tools.
- Manages and retains assigned company inventories and assets (tool, vehicle, parts inventory, laptop etc.)
- Demonstrates proficient skills with telephony–pulling cable, terminating cable, trouble shoot wiring, loading configuration files, install and maintain all Digital West equipment
- Able to safely climb a 12-foot ladder and reach at arm’s length without losing balance
- Build, create, and maintain “Customer Loyalty” by providing the best possible service and support.
High school diploma or GED. 2 years of installation repair and maintenance of telecom and networking devices. Experience working with Windows OS, VOIP, Adtran, and wireless technology. Telephony experience – including but not limited to: pulling cable (Cat3 & Cat5/6), terminations (RJ11 & RJ45) up to 100 pair cables and troubleshooting wiring / T1 / CO dial tone problems